CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day

Ahh, Father's Day, I have to admit it's not one of my favorite holidays anymore. It get's me thinking about my Dad and how much I miss him. I have found that really random things get me thinking about him so this post is dedicated to some of those things.

1. Handi-Snacks Cheese and Crackers- My dad would always bring me home random treats from the grocery store and one of them were Cheese and Crackers. A couple of months after he died, Derek & I were walking down the Isle at Smith's and I saw the Cheese & Crackers and I started crying, Derek was sweet and cheered me up by telling me some random joke to get me to laugh.

2. Country Music - I only listen to Country Music at about 11 o'clock at night when I am missing my dad. I love the Country Classic station because it plays random songs like that 'You & Me Fishing in the Dark' song.

3. Harmon's Grocery Store - I find my self frequenting the stores that he used to be a Store Director of, usually the 7th street store, just because I miss him. I used to go see him once a week or so at work just to leave him cute notes on his desk telling him that I love him.

4. The saying 'Life is Good' - My dad used to always say that to us kids & I think that it was his life's slogan.

5. Tulips & Lilies - My dad had the most gorgeous tulips & lilies in the neighborhood. He had a way with making them last a lot longer than they should have. I love the spring because of the Tulips, they make me feel a little bit closer to my dad.


6. Carmel Apples - My Dad was a committee member of the Granite Education Foundations "Invest In Futures" board. He would donate time and money to the schools and won Business Cheerleader of the Year at the Foundations annual Partner Solute. My Dad had me come along to the "Apple Wrap" and help tie bows on delicious Carmel apples to put on the tables at the Partner Solute. He also took me to several banquets, and I honestly felt like a princess when he introduced me to important business and school leaders in the community.

7. Beer - My dad would always kick back with 1 beer every night after he got off of work. He would grab a beer out of the fridge and go sit on the couch and relax for a minute.


8. Ties - Very rarely did you see my dad without a tie. He loved ties, he like the nice expensive one's, he liked the cheap silly one's. He had a different tie for every holiday. He honestly had around 100 ties that he accumulated over the years from me, my brother, my sister and my mom. I miss going to the store and picking out a cool tie that I know he would like.

9. Perry, Utah - Every time I head up north, I have to stop by in Perry to see the fruit stand that was were his first job was. He was so proud of that job and living in Perry. He would take me up there on random trips and we would check out his old house and the fruit stand and he would tell me fun stories about growing up. We would stop off at this antique store every time and take some cool random thing home and put it with the rest of the treasures.

10. Bowling - My dad would bowl every Friday Night on a bowling league. My dad was always in charge of Strike it Rich and would go around gathering tickets and money from the people who wanted to participate and then before the 3rd game started he would draw the tickets out and call the names. What I loved the most was that he would let me help him pull off tickets, count the money and also draw the tickets.

I have so many great memories of my dad most happy and some sad and this post doesn't really do them any justice, but it feels great getting them out and sharing them with people.

4 comments:

Tiffany Jenson said...

i sure remember lots of great things about him, he was so smart, funny, and caring! i miss him too! i treasure my memories with him.

Karen said...

What a tribute! It is so sad to think that he isn't here with us. I think of him often too. It's good to get the thoughts on paper to help cope with what we go through. You did a great job! Love You!

gina said...

I am so not kidding when I say this, but the Saturday before father's day I bought a sign at Robert's crafts that said "Life is Good" and I loved the saying so much that I hung it in my family room above my fire place. I have goose bumps. I also often visited him at Harmon's when I would stop there to get grandma a baguette and yellow roses. I love this blog! Great job!

J Zarogoza said...

Sorry about your loss. I didn't know. My Dad is dying right now. Did I do something to make you mad? I was just trying to keep in touch with everyone. I hope to hear from you. Later.